As directors of funeral homes in Bells, TN., we get asked a lot of questions. One that is very common is what someone should wear when attending a funeral service. Some people want to know if they have to wear black, while others may wonder if what they wear depends on the location of the service. Today we are going to cover some of the do’s and don’t when it comes to dressing for a funeral.
What to Do
Funerals are typically a more formal events with guests needing to dress as such. This means dressing up as if you were attending a nice Sunday morning church service, or how you would if you were interviewing for a job.
For women this could include wardrobe pieces such as:
- Pant suit
- Nice pants and a blouse (with sleeves)
- Dress that is an appropriate length
- Skirt and sweater or blouse
- Skirt suit
For men, pieces can include:
- Polo shirt, slacks and a belt
- Dress suit with tie
- Button-down shirt with tie, slacks and belt
- Button-down shirt, vest, slacks, belt
- A blazer can be added to any of the above
Most people are aware that black is the standard “go to” color when it comes to funeral attire, but what if you do not have anything black that will work? Well, luckily there are several other colors that can works as well. These include deep grays, shades of brown, deep greens and blues, lighter grays, and earth tones.
What Not to Do
With society becoming more and more casual in its dress, some people may feel that casual attire is okay for funerals. However, this is simply not the case. Even if the funeral is held in a more casual location, you should still be respectful and dress appropriately. Things you should never wear to a funeral include:
- Sneakers – Even if these are in good shape opt for a nice pair of dress shoes.
- Flip Flops- These shoes are meant for the pool and the beach, not for a funeral service
- Club Clothes- Even though you may look amazing in your little red cocktail dress, a funeral is not the place to be wearing it. Save it for the club
- Any item that is ripped, frayed, or damaged- Whether the fraying is part of the design or just because the item is old, keep it at home.
- Baseball Caps- Guys, just leave them at home.
If you have an outfit but just not sure if it is appropriate or not, here are some extra tips to follow to help you decide:
- Ladies -Skirts and dresses should be an appropriate length with no miniskirts. Also, dresses and shirts should cover you appropriately on top so make sure they button or are designed to close near the neck. No plunging necklines.
- Men- Always makes sure to wear a belt with dress pants
- Ladies and Men- Keep jewelry to a minimum with simple, small pieces.
If you follow these tips, no matter if the funeral is held at a church, family home, or funeral home in Bells, TN., you can have the confidence knowing you are dressed appropriately.