Mr. Jack Wood, age 93, departed this life on Wednesday, June 2, 2021 at the Jackson-Madison County General Hospital.
He was born on December 15, 1927, in Hickman, Kentucky, the second of seven children born to the late Albright A. Wood and Annie Mae Jackson.
Most of his childhood and youth was experienced in Dyersburg, Tennessee with his father being a career railroad man. From a very early age, Jack took an keen interest in art and music. He became proficient in stringed instruments, favoring the guitar. In December of 1945 he turned 18 and enlisted in the army, serving from 1946- 1947. He used his musical talent as part of the army's special services while stationed at Fort Riley, Kansas.
After discharge, he arrived back in Dyersburg and played his first public performance in the bus station's small cafe. Although dreaming of a music career, he entered the retail world and worked various jobs in retail clothing and shoes in Memphis,TN, Detroit, MI and Cleveland, OH. It was in Cleveland, in late 1950, that he met the love of his life, Valeria Sampar. They married in January 1951, and eventually raised two children. Jack's career created an opportunity to use his talent in art by becoming a window display man with Allens, A.S. Beck, and eventually Sibley's shoe corporations. They lived in Sheffield Lake, Ohio, Caldwell, New Jersey, and Madison Hts, Michigan, before retiring to Oakfield, Tennessee. Although he never grabbed hold of a professional music career, he continued a life-long love of playing his guitar at home. His creativity led him to enjoy woodcarving also.
He is survived by his son, Jack D. Wood (Jackie) of Jackson, Tennessee; his daughter, Lora Faraci (Vince) of Waterford Township, Michigan; and his sister, Patsy Ruth Stephens of Dyersburg, Tennessee, plus many neices, nephews, and cousins.
The family would like to extend special thanks to Hospice of West Tennessee for their wonderful care and support.
The family will have a private memorial at a later date and asks that expressions of remembrance be given to a charity of choice.